Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Cats, Dual Monitors, And Other Unsupported Devices

So I came to the conclusion that my whopping 27" monitor wasn't enough, so I decided to hook up an extra LCD flat panel monitor I had up in the attic as a second monitor to take advantage of my iMac's dual monitor support. Behold the glory that is my desk:



The prominent cat IN THE WAY is Winston Greyson Ferguson, a.k.a Mr. B. He has problems typing coherently. Apple, please come out with a keyboard driver that interprets kitty keystrokes. LAUGH OUT LOUD MACS DON'T USE DRIVERS!

Anywho, after a couple of weeks of crazy amounts of screen real estate, I imprudently decided to tinker with the display's settings and stumbled upon System Preferences → Displays → Color → Display profiles. The next day, the second display started to flicker on and off randomly and quite annoyingly.

After much teeth gnashing and cat swinging, I found an apparent solution thanks to Mr. Google. This unrelated thread basically suggested deleting the display profiles:



I unplugged the offending monitor, deleted the entries, rebooted, and re-connected the monitor.

Case: CLOSED.

No comments:

About Me, Not You

I was christened Wannahockaloogy by our tribal leader. He was a bitter old man with throat cancer who believed that, to truly hock a loogie, one must not retrieve the phlegm from the throat, but from the soul. His weakened, delirious state made it easy for me to overthrow him and seize control. Now, I am the chief and I have internet access. Beware, delirious smoking populace. Beware.